Once you’ve chosen the Classic Barn Home model that suits your tastes, lifestyle and location, you’ll be paired with one of our talented designers to review the details and discuss the customization that is possible. We’ll work closely with you to establish a budget, time line and building schedule.
While you can choose to have your barn house built exactly according to one of the established barn house plans, there are several ways to customize that plan, changing the architectural appearance of your home without adding more significant costs usually associated with a fully customized design.
To contain costs, we generally advise choosing customizations that maintain the defined foot-print of the timber-framed main structure. If you find you are interested in more elaborate customizations, you might be ready to consider a fully customized design.
Popular barn home customizations that allow the main frame of the house to remain as pre-designed include:
- Timber framed extensions to first-floor rooms, such as master suites or living rooms
- Shed or gable dormers on the second floor to extend the usable floor space
- Exposed, covered or three-season porches
- Attached or stand-alone garages for vehicles and equipment
- Cupolas for extra light and architectural charm
- Window configurations and styles
- Alternate floor plans (floor plan grids are available to help with design and layout)
Of course, you will also customize your home through your choices of things like type of wood used for the frame, exterior finishes (such as siding and trims), types of windows and doors, fixtures and interior finishes.