Looking for the perfect timber frame floor plan? Read our 10 tips to help you choose a timber frame floor plan.
We typically design 90% of our clients’ new timber frame homes, many using one of our existing floor plans as a start or a MossCreek design through our partnership with them. For many of our clients, it is often hard to know where to begin. Below are some tips to help you find a plan and help you establish some ideas to share with the designer or architect you choose to work with the design your new timber frame.
Tips to help you choose a timber frame floor plan:
- Establish a budget for your new home. Setting a budget is crucial so you can determine what size timber frame house you can afford to build.
- Determine how many bedrooms and bathrooms and all additional rooms you want (great room, kitchen, dining, office, an extra bathroom). Deciding how many rooms you want will help you work on square footage.
- It helps to plan now if you want a garage or not. If you choose to have a garage now or down the road and you want to connect it to the house, this could affect your floor plan.
- Many of our clients here at Davis Frame have a walk-out basement. Some use it for storage or additional living space. Deciding if you want a walk-out basement and what its purpose will be may influence the design of your new timber frame home.
- Do you want to add guest quarters? If you do, do you want it in a separate area from the master bedroom?
- How many floors do you want in your new home? Are you looking for a home you can retire in? This will play a big factor in how you design your home.
- Draw a bubble diagram to map out the layout of the rooms.
- What style home do you like? Do you prefer a more traditional or modern looking home?
- What style is predominant in your neighborhood? Do you want your home’s architecture to resemble the styles found in your region?
- Also, consider your site before you choose a house design. Choosing a timber frame floor plan to maximize views or natural lighting for energy efficiency according to your land is key. Remember, many Davis Frame timber frame floor plans are flexible and we can move rooms around.
To speak with a Davis Frame project coordinator, call 800.636.099! Visit our floor plans page to gather ideas for your timber frame project.